Forklift Safety Rules Of The Road
Proper Lift Truck Operation
Forklifts play a vital role in keeping businesses moving – from transporting products to operating in heavy-duty outdoor applications. These are a few simple forklift safety tips and forklift safety rules to help keep your operators and your workplace productive and safe.
Safety Rules For Forklift Entry:
- Always check hands and feet for grease or oil before entering.
- Use the three-point method: grab the assist grip with your left hand and the hip restraint with your right hand.
- Avoid grabbing the steering wheel.
- Always use the lift truck’s operator seat belt or restraint system.
- Stay inside the operator compartment, and never reach into moving parts of the truck.
- Obey all company safety rules and posted traffic signs – including speed limits.
- Keep a clear view of the path of travel.
- Start, stop and change directions smoothly.
- Sound the horn and slow down when approaching intersections, blind corners, door and ramp openings, pedestrians and other vehicles, and when backing up.
- When traveling, keep the forks in a low position that provides adequate clearance over the surfaces you will travel.
- Maintain a safe distance from the edge of docks.
- Operators should always wear the required protective clothing and equipment for your application, such as steel-toed shoes and a safety vest.
- Ensure all operators are properly trained and certified to operate a lift truck.